02 October 2016

15mm Battle of the Bulge 76mm Sherman tanks

I've recently bought into 'Tanks', the newish game by Battlefront Miniatures, and thought it to be the perfect opportunity to continue work on my 15mm 'Battle of the Bulge' project.
In order to make up a full platoon of 76mm armed Shermans I bought another plastic sprue of this rather superb kit. Unfortunately my digicam seems to be about to quit service slowly but surely, so the colour balance in todays pics is heavily on the yellowish side. Also it looks like all the fine weathering with streaking, rust and so on didn't come through on the pics...

Quality wise they're way above those ugly lumps that came with the original 'Open Fire' Starter set and really were a joy to paint. It was only during the last steps when everything went southwards again. Like with the previous tanks I did, I buggered up the weathering on the tracks. Well, I guess this happens when you simply don't learn from previous mistakes. I should have stopped before adding all the mud now clogging up all the details and not looking like mud at all...




Anyway, as I'm not satisfied by how the snow on the bases came out I'll hopefully be able to cover some of the mess on the tracks up when tarting up the snow. I'm not really sure as to what's best for snow in this scale but I've read several articles recommending baking soda, so that's what I'll try out next time I think. But for the moment these are done.



I really love painting American vehicles as the green really lends itself to go to town with shading, streaking and other obscure techniques.




With these three finished I can now field nine Sherman tanks and really should either do some more support vehicles like halftracks or the like or finally start work on the opposition. Not sure if I'll go for SS or Volksgrenadiere yet.


So, that's it for today. Hope you have a fine sunday and till next time!

19 comments:

  1. Wow Nick, I can't believe that they are 15mm, stunning work Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 15mm? My eyes don't believe it! As Rodger and Michael say, "stunning!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding work yet again Nick! I'll want a closer inspection next time you come over.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  4. 15mm??? I dont bealive :) more than awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work is fantastic Nick in any scale but the detail you have gone to in 15mm is superb. Your Battle of the Bulge project is something I will be following very keenly. I have heard scare stories of baking soda turning yellowish after a while, so I have gone with woodland Scenic soft flake snow just to be on the safe side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splendid job, from the base to th top of the helmet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Showcasing a load of super techniques and talents - amazing work :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing work there! The newer BF plastics are definitely an improvement over their first tries with the Open Fire box. Those were a pain to put together

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sublime pieces of art, Sir!
    Honestly I saw 28mm tanks bearing far less detail than your 15mm treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh My Goodness!!! Look at the deatails you manage to paint on these tanks. This is brilliant brilliant work. Top quality stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful stuff Nick. What are you using for infantry for this project - Battlefront stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Greg,
      yes Battlefront it is. Haven't found a good source of greatcoated US infantry yet.

      Delete
  12. waww sublime travail... magnifique votre peinture. Vous travaillez sur commission ou juste pour le plaisir?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I do assume you're asking if I do commissions? If that's the case I'm sorry but I have to disappoint you. I'm not doing commissions at all.

      Delete